During lockdown 2020 my friend Dawn and myself (Gill) decided to focus all of our attention on our sewing pattern business. Its helped us through some very tough times in our lives and it was about to do so again in the most unexpected way.
We decided to hold a giveaway on Instagram with the help of Dawn's son Joe as being 50 something's this was all unchartered teritory to us, he created our post and a little while later a winner was drawn, @anya_Mackay. Little did we know what a significat part Anya was about play in this chapter of our lives and what a diffference she would make during the strangest of times.
One of the pattern's Anya chose as her prize was the Marilyn Dress, Anya made such a beautiful job of it we were convinced she must have been sewing for much of her life, however we were later to discover this was not the case at all and that prior to lockdown she hadn't sewn a dart. The key to her success had been the support of a group of ladies with a love of vintage style and a desire to create their own beautiful wardrobe.
In Anya's words:
Some were complete beginners and had seen some of the members share their “makes” on Instagram and felt inspired to purchase the same pattern.
Some felt hesitant as they didn’t think they had the abilities.
I learned to sew myself during a previous sew along hosted by Debi @ms1940mccall and offered to create a chat group where we could support each other, ask question and share pictures of our progress and finished dresses. It grew from there and friendships were made.
About eight member so far are hoping to make the Coachman’s Robe for the winter."
-Anya Mackay (Admin) @anya_mackay Scotland
- Alison Rollo Rose @arose.by.another.name Scotland
- Beth (Bettina) @beth_in_hessen Germany
- Carolina Suikeli @carolinasuikeli Scotland/ Finland
- Caroline Heavens @carolineheavens Scotland
- Irene Guererro @muchacha_vintage Scotland/ Spain
- Jen Clark @jenvert Scotland
-Anja/ Lilian de la Fleur @liliandelafleur Germany
- Lola Vintage Clothing @magiclola0 Spain
- Orlagh Phelan @phelanfancy Scotland/ Ireland
-Penny Heartbleed @pennyheartbleed Norway
- Rachael @ms.carnivale Scotland
- Janine @sirena_jeane Switzerland
- Teresa @altered_in_scotland Scotland/ USA
- Teresa/ Miss Razor Riot @theresajhnna Austria
- Debi @ms1940mccall Scotland/ USA
- Kamila @hedwig.macbutterfly Scotland/ Poland
-Noelia @theycallmenoelle_ Scotland/ Spain
- Roslyn @rozconscious Scotland
New memebers are all welcome to join.
Our photo features a meet up of some of the memebers of the sewing group, sadly missing some of the members from abroad, until their plans to all meet one day are realised.